Jul 28, 2011

"The Help" A MUST read novel and film!

Ok, Ok, I know... It's been waaay too long since my last post, but come on people, my weeks and weekends have been pretty busy and all with moving in just a couple of days so I've not had a whole lot of time to blog. The good news, though, is I have a lot to share with you.

A couple of weeks ago the administrative assistant for my department came in to my office to tell me about a screening for a film she had just seen that past night and had also read the book. I inquired casually to make polite conversation as I recalled being engrossed in some work project but she just continued to rave about this book and film and made many many remarks to the similarities between myself and the main character. Slowly I became intrigued enough to pay attention to the storyline she shared with me and after really listening for just about five minutes I realized how interested I was and decided to watch the trailer for the film.

Well, needless to say after watching that I immediately went to Chamblin's Bookmine, where I work part time, or did, to get my employee discount, and bought the book. Let me tell you, not only was I sooo grateful to get such a wonderful recommendation for this book because it truly was a remarkable read and
I had been thirstin' for a page turner like this one! The lady at work told me not to read the book before I watched the movie, because of course two hours just simply isn't enough time to pack 500+ pages into, because for whatever reason your imagination simply does a better job of creating the scenes for you.

Folks, after watching that trailer, I just couldn't wait. I started reading that book at 5 o'clock on a Friday night, read until 2:30 a.m. Went to sleep, got up the next morning and started reading at 9 a.m. and read until Midnight. It was simply THAT GOOD. Of course then, after reading it I had to wait until the next screening of the film before it's release, until this past Wednesday. Kyle went with me, and though it was indeed a great movie, they changed some of the storyline, condensed parts of it and it did seem to all run together, but all in all the cast and the acting was pretty good and we enjoyed it!

So, after reading the book and watching the movie I ended up agreeing with my coworkers that said I was "Skeeter" in all the good ways and I was totally fine with that. She was outspoken, dared to be different, challenged the status quo and was very witty. I think those are all qualities I like having attributed to me.

Ok, so I'm sure you're all dying to get out and read the book. Go to it! Here, I'll make it even easier. Buy The Help here.

No comments:

Post a Comment