Dec 10, 2011

My fate hangs in the balance. 1 semester of grad school down

Well, it's officially over. I've finished all my classes and am now waiting on grades. Though I do believe with nearly 100 percent certainty that I made it, I will not know my official scores until next week. I'm so nervous...

This semester was extremely difficult on me and adjusting to the rigorous regime was so overwhelming that many times I wanted to just say fuck it! Why did I sign up for this torture in the first place? You all know from my previous blog posts, or from talking with me, that I was not the sane (as sane as I "normally" am), friendly and warm individual I come by naturally. I sacrificed a lot this semester, I think mostly my relationship with Kyle and with my family, more specifically Kyle's family, that was the whole reason we moved here. I plan on spending a lot of time with them over the break. They are so wonderful and I am happy to have the holidays to share with them and not have to travel. Hooray!

I'm also looking forward to spending some more time with the friends I've made. I do not think I would have made it through this semester without the incredibly encouraging and supportive people in my program. They carried me through. In fact, I'm going to take my first trip to Jackson , Ms this next weekend to visit the home of my best friend in the program. I'm extremely excited about it and I know we're going to have a lot of fun. Look for another blog post about that trip in the next couple of weeks.


Speaking of amazing friends, I co-hosted the annual grad program Ugly Christmas Sweater Party at my house last night and it was EPIC. We had a great time!!! And certainly made a lot of memories. I love seeing people out of their "academic" mode and loosen up after how tense we all have been. Here are a couple of photos from that.

Two of my friends and I went to the Salvation Army off of Airline and found some totally awesome sweaters for the party. This one was just slightly too small (it was a children's sweater) for Kate, so she gave it to me. We were literally running around the store picking out the most atrocious sweaters, holding them up and squealing in laughter. When the sales ladies realized what we were doing they started watching us make a spectacle of ourselves. We all had just taken our last final - a two-hour essay final - so we were a little delirious. We had a blast and we all picked out coordinating jewelry to go with the sweaters. Here's another of us all dressed up with makeup and hair done, etc. We look a hell of a 
lot better than we did when we purchased them. These girls and I had too much fun, and I think we'll probably continue to have a little too much fun as we go. 


I also realized from the party that grad school has kinda made me appear a slightly grumpy and un-charming person. I received a lot of really nice compliments last night from those in my program that I'd not yet hung out with until the party that said how fun and friendly and cool I was. And I thought to myself, "Well, I wonder if I do not appear 'fun, friendly and cool' while at school or on campus?" Anyhow, my point is I'm going to try very, very very hard to take more deep breaths and relax while I'm on campus. Take a look around, and be grateful that I'm here, doing it, and surviving.

So, I sit here, with my dog melted into my lap. I've neglected her this semester too. I'm relaxing, drinking coffee and just breathing in the moment. Good heavens, it feels nice to not be so damn tense all the time like I'm holding my breath.

Well, I plan to write more blog posts over the break. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with all my time.

Ciao for now!

ali

No comments:

Post a Comment