Feb 29, 2012

Valentines, Mardi Gras and Vincent van Gogh's "Starry night"

February passed in a heartbeat. And it was entirely forgettable. It was not the February I hoped for. Thankfully Vincent Van Gogh wrapped up the month with a triumphant finale.

After the rush of the holiday season, I always get a little down in the dumps that the joyous spirit that jumps out from around every corner has come and gone. This February living in Louisiana, I thought things would be different. Why? Carnival season and the build up to Mardi Gras, of course. And before that? Valentines Day in what better of an area to be in for a delicious Valentines dinner than South Louisiana?! 

School started, my mom visited and the first few weeks of the semester zoomed by to help me over my holiday slump until Valentines Day neared. I was so looking forward to Valentines this year with Kyle as I reminisced about how hard we both worked the last several months around this time a year ago to be able to move ourselves here, how difficult a transition last semester was for both of us, and more importantly, again, THE FOOD. I made reservations at Marcello's, a local restaurant in Baton Rouge. I read good things in the prestigious 225 Magazine and was impressed. I made reservations, picked out my dress and got home early to look spectacular for Kyle.

We went, we dined and we left unsatisfied. All Kyle and I could say in response to each of the courses was, "It was alright." I did not want alright food for our first Valentines dinner together in our new/permanent home! I wanted something that we could rave about. Something our tastes buds would yearn for again.We started with a cheese plate. None of the cheeses were identified to us. And none of which were even the slightest bit comparable to some of the finest cheeses I've ever tasted that come from a small dairy farm in Georgia - Sweet Grass Dairy. We had scallops and a lamb entree, neither anymore unique or different than what I could prepare at home and then we had a cannoli for dessert, which the hard crusted pastry exterior it comes in did not seem fresh. I don't know. We're not food critiques and such but we've been to our fair share of five-star restaurants. I know this wasn't a proclaimed five-star restaurant, but I know good food worth what our bill was that night and our entire meal was simply not worth the bill. :(

My Mardi Gras was terribly disappointing. I planned to spend most of the weekend in Nola with two friends but the torrential rain most of the weekend detoured those plans. Kyle and I went to Bacchus on Sunday but other than that and a small neighborhood parade in Baton Rouge, it was not the exciting Mardi I hoped for.

My February finale was just what I needed to round out the not so exciting month I anticipated. A few girls from my grad program and myself attended a wine and painting workshop together. We painted Vincent van Gogh's "Starry Night."


March will by really busy for me and mostly with school, but some fun stuff in the mix too. I have a wedding, St. Patrick's day and a friends b-day get away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment