Aug 16, 2012

Birthday weekend highlights: Wining, dining and CHOPPED CHAMPION

My 28th birthday weekend was simply fabulous! All my friends made it so very special for me and I felt so loved. I really thought I was going to have a bummer of a weekend since Kyle and I would not be together to celebrate it, but it turned out incredibly eventful and took me several days to recover from all the activity ;).

Friday I went to dinner with my dear friend Sorcha and then out for drinks with my other friend, Stephanie and her hub at Radio Bar. If you haven't been you need to go! I love love love this place. It's super hip and swanky and you can wear a cocktail dress or slum it and no one will look at you twice. Also, they serve "prohibition" style drinks, which basically means they stick to basic liquors for their cocktails like scotch, whiskey, gin, etc. 

Saturday @kateroyals and I went to NOLA and stayed at the Maison St. Charles thanks to my wonderful hubs who can get us the hook up at hotels like this for super cheap. Certainly one perk of the hotel industry. We went for a cocktail and appetizer at Twist and then we went out to dinner at Brennan's. Both places were spectacular in ambiance and cuisine. We did go out on Bourbon but I'll leave those details to your imagination ;). Here's a pic of Kate and I.

We only stayed for one night and so the next morning we decided to grab an early brunch at The Irish House across the street. And boy, little did I know this would be THE highlight of my weekend. As we made our way to the table, I slipped on the floor (I was wearing heels with absolutely no grip to them) and did a spread eagle face plant and about knocked myself out on the table next to ours. My purse went flying along with all its contents and the whole place went silent in response to the loud thud I made from the fall.

Oddly enough, this turned out to be just the attention we needed because out came the executive chef from the back of the house to find out what the commotion was all about. And TA DA! Chef Matt Murphy, recent FoodNetwork Chopped Champion, stood over our table and greeted us with a big smile and a charming as ever Irish accent. We laughed it off and then 5 min later he returned with a complimentary mimosa. Um, YES PLEASE. But that wasn't all. After we ate our absolutely delicious food I asked our waitress if he would mind taking a picture with us. Now, here in South Louisiana celebrities are all around and apparently if you're from here you're not suppose to give a shit about them, nor ask to take photos with them. Well, I'm from Kansas folks so I thought it would be a - ok. Not to my surprise, he was delighted. In fact, he even invited us back into the kitchen to take a picture with the rest of his kitchen staff. I know! What a guy, right?

Geez, you'd think we could be a little more photogenic!
But look at chef Matt's smile! Clearly, he's got this celeb thing down ;)
Now, look at this one. Isn't  this horrendous! But soo funny.
Don't ever say I can't make fun of myself

So, it was a GREAT weekend. I couldn't have asked for a better one! I sure hope I've given you even more reasons to take a trip down to N' awlins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment