Sep 5, 2011

New Beginnings in Baton Rouge: 1 month in and LOVIN' IT!

Gosh, where to begin? We've been here a month now and things have been pretty darn spectacular. We got the house all set up, Kyle has settled into his new job, which he loves, we each celebrated our birthdays and I have two weeks of grad school classes already behind me.

You might remember from a previous post that we moved into an absolutely adoooorable house in Baton Rouge's Garden District which is across the street from a park, just up the road from a dog park, and less than two miles away from campus. It is perfect, perfect, perfect!

You can see that Kyle
has put lights on the pergola, which look so great at night all lit up.












We also have a our LSU and Saints flags up as you can see, I still need a KSU one though, don't think I've sold out













Alright, so as I said, Kyle and I both celebrated our birthdays in August, his 24th and my third 25th, ah-hem 27th. He brought me home a bouquet of flowers, and a new Vera Bradley laptop case, which I had to exchange for something else since it wouldn't fit in my backpack.















After opening my gifts, and a dirty martini, or two later, he took me out to this FLIPPIN' FANTASTIC restaurant not too far from where we live.


















Juban's "Home of the Hallelujah Crab" crispy flash fried soft shelled crab stuffed with a mélange of Louisiana crawfish tails, shrimp, and crabmeat, topped with Creolaise sauce.

You can see here from my eyes that those one too many dirty martinis before we left the house were starting to catch up with me. At this point I was insisting that Kyle take me out dancing and an hour later, at 10:30 p.m. I was at home in bed in my PJs. I am clearly too old to keep up anymore!

I can't tell you what a complete joy it is to be so close to some of THE MOST incredible food I've eaten in my entire life. Fortunately, I've not gained any weight despite the ridiculous richness of it all.


I do not have any pictures from Kyle's birthday dinner because what was my attempt at our first adventure to Lafayette for a romantic night out at a high-profile restaurant turned into getting completely lost and 45 minutes late for our reservations. This is the only photo we have, a friend of ours from Jacksonville sneakily purchased a bottle of champagne for us and that instantly made our night better.




Well, I've got a lot more to share including a girls night out with my new grad buddies, local Best of Baton Rouge restaurants that are vegan/vegetarian friendly and my first house warming/LSU away game soiree/Grad buddies party. But hey, give a girl sometime. I am suppose to be studying.

Though I promise, it will not be a month before I write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment