Apr 15, 2013

Finding the courage to banish my fears

My apologies for the hiatus... Life has been HECTIC!

This past week I defended my professional project to complete my master's, and it has been one rough road. And toward the end just before I turned it in (let's just be honest, pretty much for the entire last three months), I had a feeling deep inside my stomach that I wasn't going to pass and make it to graduation. That feeling was fear. 

Kyle sent me this daily horoscope over the weekend that addressed this state of fear I've been living in.

Beginning with my first semester in the fall of 2011, after I had a very rude awakening about just how demanding and challenging my course load was going to be, I've been afraid I wasn't going to make it through. And yet, even after three semesters of tremendous success with an excellent portfolio and GPA to prove it, I continued to doubt myself. I was defining myself by my performance in each of these classes and despite high remarks from my professors I was STILL afraid. I guess I haven't found my inner courage yet. 

So you might think at this point that I would stop questioning myself, my abilities and my knowledge because I've made it. I'm a LEO for goodness sakes, we're suppose to be courageous. I don't think I'm there yet, but gosh I'm trying. While I'm not afraid whether I will graduate, I am now concerned that I won't find a job in Biloxi after I move there. The point is, there's always something to be afraid about/of. I've got to draw from my experiences and realize that I have always overcome my fears by sheer will and determination, and I will continue to do so because that's just who I am. 

I, and only I have power over my fears. If the cowardly lion can do it. I can do it! Now, where's my magic wand...

Look for more frequent posts as I wrap up my last couple of months here in Louisiana and make my way to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment