Jun 25, 2012

Baton Rouge to Biloxi...and back. Trip #2

It is OK for me to share with you all now that Kyle accepted a GM position of a boutique hotel on the beach in Biloxi, MS. HOORAY! At just 24, Kyle will manage and operate an amazing property. I am SO PROUD.
SOUTHBEACH BILOXI HOTEL AND SUITES
And now for the real talk. What this means for Kyle and I? A BIG change. He will live and work in Biloxi for the next year, while I live and finish out my last year of grad school in Baton Rogue. Sigh. I am nervous and a little anxious for how this all will play out. But, Kyle and I have done long distance before, that's how we began our relationship, so we are no strangers to it. I will visit him about every week and a half to two weeks. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers for the challenges that may lay ahead for this adjustment.

This was actually my second trip to Biloxi since the last time we went was for Kyle's interview. But this time I got to explore! Kyle has a condo in Ocean Springs, MS, which is about 10 miles from the hotel and like one of the MOST ADORABLE little towns I've ever been. His place is just a couple blocks from the beach and he lives steps from the downtown historic district with the quaintest little boutiques and restaurants.

My first night there we ate at this fantastic sushi restaurant, Chef Scott, and everything was absolutely DELISH. Here is a pic of the roll the chef is famous for. "Snow to the coast" they call it.

The next day I met Kyle for lunch at work and then explored downtown further by visiting most of the clothing shops and picking up just a couple of things. I had a great time chatting up all the store owners and finding out more about the place. Everyone was just so eager to answer questions and were very helpful! It was so much fun but man were my dogs barking by the end of the day.

Kyle and I went out to eat again the next night at Al Fresco Italian Bistro to celebrate his new job. It was pretty tasty but I've had better, more authentic Italian elsewhere for the money. But hey, you gotta try it to find out. So that was Friday.
On Saturday Kyle and laid around most of the morning because he caught my cold I had a week earlier and so it was my turn to take care of him. For lunch we went to this tiny little Vegetarian/Vgan restaurant, Good Karma Cafe. YUMMY! He worked that evening, I picked up the condo and then ran out to Leo's for pizza. Not so great of an experience. My pizza would have been great but they burnt the bottom of the first one and so after they remade it, by the third slice (don't judge me) I bit into I got a piece of plastic from one of the veggies they hadn't entirely unwrapped. I told the gal I would pay for my beers but not the food. She apologized, and hell, I'll probably go back because the place was jamming with young people and Kyle and I will need to make friends!

Also, I forgot to mention that I stopped into this Ad agency, Ad-in, that's literally one building down from Kyle's complex to check it out because they had some cool looking merchandise in the window. The owner, Beverly, was kind enough to come chat with me for a few. She designs these T's "Gulf Gals." Check out the adorable ones I bought. One is traditional mardi gras colors and one is black and gold because you know Saints fans are every where along the Gulf South, including Ocean Springs, MS!

So, Saturday was a lazy day and Sunday was even lazier. Kyle tried to recoup as much as he could before his first full week of work but we did take a walk down to the beach together to take in the view and to see if we could sweat some of the nasty summer cold out of him, and then I returned Sunday evening.

It was a pretty fun and relaxing weekend. But man I sure do miss him already. I'll need y'all's positive energy sent my direction please so we can make it through this. We made this decision together, and I believe it is in the best interest of our future but it kinda feels like we took two steps to the side to go forward later.

I leave you with some city artwork and a  B E A U TI FUL VIEW.


No comments:

Post a Comment