Oct 2, 2012

Applause or Appall. Did Nike mean well or get it all wrong?

My posts titled "applause or appall" will examine mass communication-related content, behavior and activities and determine whether they're appalling or worthy of applause.

So here's my first critique. I'd like if you chimed in and let me know your thoughts.

I waited to write a post about this video advertisement for a while. I needed to think about how I really felt before I made my mind up. And I'm still not sure whether I have, so I wanted to bring it to you all and get your feedback.

This past July, Nike launched its "Find your Greatness" campaign to coincide with the Olympics.

Their website says,
It is not just the championship athlete or record breaker that aspires to push their limits. It is also the everyday athlete who strives to excel on their own terms, to set and realize personal goals and achieve their own defining moment of greatness. 

That’s the insight behind Nike’s "Find Your Greatness" campaign, a powerful message to inspire anyone who wants to achieve their own moment of greatness in sport, launched just as the world focuses on the best of the best.

The centerpiece of the campaign is a "Find Your Greatness" film that breaks through social media and digital channels on July 25, supported by a global YouTube homepage promotion on July 26. 


Nike titled this commercial "Find your greatness - Jogger."

If you google it, the search engine's auto-find feature produces "Fat kid running Nike commercial."


I think Nike meant well. But I'm just not sure this was the best way to inspire or encourage those who are not the most physically fit or active to start jogging, engage in more physical activity, or as it says, "find [their] greatness."

If that was the case, there are youth less physically fit than this young man. And for that matter, why did they choose such a young man? Why a male and note a female? My friend and classmate in graduate school, Stephanie enjoys looking at the media's portrayals of young women and teens/pre-teens. I wonder if they chose a young man over a young woman because girls are so much more cruel and critical of other girls. Or am I over thinking this?  

This ad kind of reminds me of Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty, which championed the cause for redefining "real" beauty by casting away stereotypes - tall, skinny, young, etc.

I applaud Nike for trying to champion and challenge the idea that only professional athletes can achieve greatness and what greatness is. But I'm just not sure they really thought this particular ad through thoroughly. You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the alternate satirical videos out there on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment