Apr 19, 2012

A Baton Rouge Gem: Gino's Italian Restaurant

Ever since I met Kyle, way back oh six+ years ago, we set a regular routine for discovering and dining at new and unique restaurants. They didn't have to be fine dining restaurants, although we do love to get dressed up for one another and make an entire evening of it, we also enjoy more casual places as well as long as the food is good.

Since Kyle started a new job at a hotel closer to the house, a new place caught my eye during my trips to and from there. Gino's Restaurant is a FABULOUS place in a very inconspicuous location just off College Drive near the post office and behind Regions bank. We went this past Monday and everything we had was absolutely delicious. In fact, I don't have one single complaint about the place. 

Kyle started with a martini, prepared exactly to his specifications, I had a nice glass of chiante. Kyle ordered a capri salad and I had a house salad that was a mix of iceberg and spring mix lettuces with a very yummy and light Italian dressing. Then we both spilt the penne alla lorenzo (pasta with grilled eggplant, red peppers, mushrooms, Italian tomatoes with fresh basil) and it was def enough for two and incredibly flavorful, filling and tasty! Not to mention it was all vegetarian and for a Kansas girl reared on beef, converted to a vegetarian and now living in the land of dishes made with mostly seafood or other animal protein, a meal this delicious made without either seafood or meat, well that gets a big GOLD STAR in my book. 

I was so impressed with everything else we had that I couldn't leave without dessert. We ordered tiramisu, because what better way to tell whether or not an Italian place is good then by its delicately and very difficult to prepare lady fingers, whipped mouse filling of egg yolks and marscarpone and flavored with liquor and cocoa? Yup, that was just as good as everything else. 

Kyle and I both agreed that the meal was one of the best we both have had since probably Galatoires in New Orleans back in October, and let me just say the bill at Gino's was half what that was!

So Gino's has great food, great service and comfortable accommodations. I HIGHLY recommend it. I leave you with the tiramisu!


No comments:

Post a Comment