Jan 2, 2013

The post-holiday blues

Knock, knock. Yes, I'm here. I'm sorry for the hiatus the past month. I simply can't believe that nearly six weeks have come and gone since I shared my Thanksgiving post. When I was a child, I remember feeling on the verge of absolute combustion once Halloween was over; I was filled with in anticipation for the holiday season, family get togethers, feasts and a break from school. It felt then as if each day consisted of many more hours than 24 and now, I wish for more hours in every day because there's just too much to accomplish. Time flies by so fast in my life these days and in a few blinks of my lashes one season has changed into the next.

With exception to Thanksgiving day, I spent that mini break finalizing projects, writing papers and studying my butt off. It was my most successful semester yet and extremely stressful, in part because Kyle and I hit the six month mark of living a part and I really felt his absence when my stress was at its peak. Most of this holiday break I have spent traveling between New Orleans, Biloxi and back to Baton Rouge to visit Kyle or his family. With all the driving I've done, it really hasn't felt like a whole lot of time "off." Four weeks have felt more like a long weekend and I'm just one more week away from beginning what will be my last semester of grad school. WOW.

My 2012 Thanksgiving and Christmas, and 2013 New Year's are over and I've got a serious case of the blues. One song in particular comes to mind for me after the high and the crash of each holiday season. Elvis was apart of my every day growing up as he was one of my dad's favorite musicians so I know about every word to every song that ever crossed those luscious lips ;). I know this song doesn't exactly address the "blues" I'm feeling about the close of this holiday season, but can't you just feel the heartache in this number?!

I'll leave you to enjoy Elvis at your leisure with this last thought for you to consider. While I was in Ocean Springs visiting Kyle, I heard several store owners discussing what days they were going to be closed for the holidays and several remarked that they would only be closed Christmas day. They then added to their response "because it's just another day." That gave me reason to pause, as I pondered regarding the holidays as "just another day." For me, they represent so much more and so if you're feeling the post-holiday blues, I'm right there with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment